Google Meet is a video conferencing platform that allows users to join online meetings, webinars, and virtual hangouts. With Google Meet, you can join meetings from a computer mobile device or dial in using a phone number. There are several easy ways to join Google Meet meetings, depending on your preferences and situation. Here are 10 ways to join a Google Meet meeting:
1. Join via Meeting Link
The simplest way to join a Google Meet meeting is by clicking on the meeting link provided by the meeting organizer. The meeting link is a URL that will direct you straight into the video call.
When you receive a Google Calendar invite for a meeting, the event details will contain a Google Meet joining link that looks like “meet.google.com/xyz-abcd-efg.” Simply click on this link to launch the Google Meet app and enter the meeting. Make sure you have the latest version of Google Meet installed.
If you’re joining via mobile, you may be prompted to open the meeting link in the Google Meet app. The app should open automatically and take you into the meeting room. The joining info link can also be accessed in the event/calendar reminder before the meeting starts.
2. Join via meet.google.com
Instead of clicking on a meeting link, you can go directly to meet.google.com and enter a meeting code to join. The meeting organizer will provide the meeting code, which is a series of letters or numbers unique to that meeting.
For example, if the meeting code is “abc-123-456”, go to meet.google.com and enter the code in the box. Make sure to enter the code exactly as the organizer provided it. This will launch the meeting in your browser.
The meeting code can also be appended to the Meet link – meet.google.com/abc-123-456. This takes you directly into the corresponding meeting room.
3. Join from Google Calendar
All Google Meet meetings created with Google Calendar will appear on your Google Calendar. Find the meeting event on your calendar from the Google Calendar app or web interface and click on the event name.
A “Join with Google Meet” link will be below the event details. Clicking this will automatically open the meeting room for you. Ensure you are signed into Google Calendar with the same account provided access to the meeting.
4. Join from Google Chat
If the meeting details were shared over Google Chat, there are a couple of ways to join directly from Google Chat:
- Click the Join Meeting link: The chat message may contain a clickable “Join Meeting” link. Clicking this will launch the Google Meet call.
- Hover over the Meet code and click Join: Hover your mouse over the meeting code, and the pop-up will display the option to join.
- Use keyboard shortcuts: In Chat, type
/meetfollowed by the meeting code to join from any chat window.
5. Join via Google Meet mobile apps
To join from the mobile apps:
- Open the Google Meet app and sign in with your Google account.
- Tap on “Join a meeting” and enter the meeting code.
- You can also join by tapping on a meeting link that was sent to you.
- Grant permission for Google Meet to access your camera and microphone.
- You’ll then be joined into the meeting automatically.
The mobile apps provide full access to Google Meet features like screen sharing, captions, and layout options. Install them ahead of time so you’re ready to quickly join meetings.
6. Join via Web Browser
If you don’t have the app, Google Meet can be joined directly from any web browser on your computer, smartphone, or tablet. Here are the steps:
- Go to meet.google.com in your browser. This will launch the Meet web app.
- Click on “Join or start a meeting” on the main page.
- Enter the meeting code provided by the organizer and click “Continue”.
- Allow Google Meet to access your microphone and camera when prompted.
- Once connected, you’ll join the meeting. Make sure your browser is updated for full compatibility.
Popular browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge are supported. The web app offers the same key features as the mobile and desktop apps.
7. Join via Google Meet Hardware
Google Meet hardware can be utilized in conference rooms and classrooms to easily join Google Meet sessions. Options include:
- Google Meet Series One: All-in-one video conferencing hardware with a camera, speakers, and microphone. Connect to WiFi and enter meeting codes to join.
- Chromebox for Meetings: Transform any TV or display into a Google Meet room system using a Chromebox device. Features speaker, mic, and camera components.
- Meet Compute System: A modular audio/visual system for meeting rooms. Customize with mics, speakers, and cameras based on room needs.
Hardware kits contain instructions on how to assemble the components and join meetings. This creates an integrated room solution for more immersive Google Meet participation.
8. Join via Phone Call
Google Meet allows you to join meetings via phone call if you don’t have internet access or a computer available. The meeting organizer must provide a phone number and PIN to dial in.
To join a Google Meet meeting via phone:
- Using your home, work, or mobile phone, dial the phone number provided in the meeting invite.
- Enter the PIN when prompted using your dial pad.
- You’ll then enter the meeting so you can listen in and participate.
- Make sure to mute your microphone when not speaking to prevent background noise. Raise your hand first before unmuting.
This audio-only option allows you to join meetings when video isn’t available. Contact the organizer if a dial-in number wasn’t included.
9. Schedule a Google Meet meeting via Google Calendar
As the meeting organizer, you can schedule Google Meet sessions directly from Google Calendar. Here are the steps:
- Open Google Calendar and create a new event at the desired date/time.
- Click “Add Google Meet video conferencing” in the event details.
- Click “Save” to add a Google Meet link and dial-in info to the event.
- Invite attendees to the event as usual from your Google contacts.
- The event notification will include a Google Meet link for easy joining.
You can pre-assign rooms, enable live streaming, and manage other call settings. Scheduling via Google Calendar makes starting instant or recurring video meetings easy.
10. Host a Google Meet meeting via meet.google.com
You can instantly start a Google Meet meeting using the meet.google.com website:
- Go to meet.google.com and sign into your Google account.
- Click on “Start a meeting” to immediately start an instant video meeting.
- Invite others by sharing the meeting link or meeting code. Click “Copy joining info” to share.
- You can manage the meeting controls and add call features as people join.
- Click “End call” when finished. Guests will automatically leave the meeting.
The instant meeting method is great for ad-hoc meetings with co-workers, clients, friends, and family. No pre-scheduling is required!
Google Meet offers flexible options to join online meetings based on your needs and environment. With mobile apps, web browser access, phone dial-in numbers, and easy-join links, participating in Google Meet calls is straightforward and convenient. Take advantage of these 10 ways to seamlessly join Google Meet meetings from anywhere.
- Google. “Join video meetings.” Google Meet Help. https://support.google.com/meet/answer/9303069?hl=en
- Google. “Set up hardware.” Google Meet Help. https://support.google.com/meet/answer/7404251
- Google. “Start a meeting with Meet.” Google Meet training and guides. https://support.google.com/meet/answer/9308856?hl=en&ref_topic=7306097
- Google. “Schedule meetings with Google Calendar.” Google Meet training and guides. https://support.google.com/meet/answer/9282720?hl=en&ref_topic=7306097
- Google. “Join a meeting from Gmail or Google Chat.” Google Meet Help. https://support.google.com/meet/answer/9306235?hl=en
- Google. “Join a meeting by phone.” Google Meet Help. https://support.google.com/meet/answer/9303069?hl=en